Winner – New Business of the Year

Category archive

Community - page 3

From the ashes, a new beginning

in Community/Environment by
A tractor lifts 13 replacement trees into place. Photo: Jamie Morris.

Last month the Advocate reported on the loss of the 13  trees in Lindsay’s tiny Peace Park, located just north of Central Senior Public School on Albert Street. All were ash, all were infested by emerald ash borers. It was, on a small scale, a foretaste of what is happening across the City; experts say all of our 24,000 ash trees will succumb. 

For Peace Park, the loss was particularly poignant:  A plaque mounted near the stumps let visitors know the trees had represented not only our ten provinces and three territories, but “hope for the future.” 

Keep Reading

Powerless guards mired in poor working conditions at Lindsay’s Super Jail

in Community/Health by
Powerless guards mired in poor working conditions at Lindsay’s Super Jail
“They are broken. Mentally broken. Some are suicidal, from a career in corrections.”

For the past couple months the Lindsay Advocate has been speaking to employees and former employees of Lindsay’s Central East Correctional Centre. Citing concern for their jobs (and privacy issues) all interviewees requested anonymity. We also spoke on the record to representatives of the union and to Ontario’s Solicitor General.

“We call them broken toys.”

“They are broken. Mentally broken. Some are suicidal, from a career in corrections,” says one retired correctional officer (CO), describing some of his former co-workers.

As an outsider with no experience with the prison system, I had of course expected stories from COs involving mental health. But I thought I would hear stories of trauma that come with having a job that involves providing custody and control for criminals (or those suspected of criminality): the ‘crazy stories’ of fights, drugs, rape and murder. What shocked me was that the more I spoke to COs (current and retired) the more I learned that the stress these people described was more often about policy, procedure and management then it was about the salacious things I had imagined.

Keep Reading

Parking enforcement: Wayne English has his eye on Lindsay’s downtown core

in Community by
Wayne English. Photo: Jamie Morris.

It’s a Monday, a few minutes before 10 am, and I’m standing outside the Bylaw Enforcement Office, where I’m to meet and then tag along with Wayne English.

As the church bells peal, Wayne, who’s been chatting with Bulk Food store-owner Dan Burns across the street, approaches, hand outstretched.

He’s hard to miss: his red golf shirt and baseball cap are emblazoned with “Parking Control” and “LDBIA Community Liaison,” and a chunky electronic device is strapped to his waist. Sunglasses, black shorts, and dusty and well-worn-in walking shoes complete his outfit.

Keep Reading

Federal election Q & A with Jamie Schmale of the Conservative Party of Canada

in Federal by
Federal election Q & A with Jamie Schmale of the Conservative Party of Canada

Roderick Benns recently interviewed the PPC, Conservative, Liberal, Green, and NDP candidates for Haliburton, Kawartha Lakes, Brock riding to help voters make an informed decision leading up to the election in October. In our fifth and final installment is Jamie Schmale of the Conservative Party of Canada.

Benns: Can you highlight a policy of your party that will lead to increased employment and increased average income in our riding? 

Schmale: The cost of living is top of mind to many voters in Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock and across this country. Two thirds of Canadians feel that they either can’t pay their bills – or feel that they have nothing left over at the end of the month. Almost half of all Canadian households report being less than $200 a month away from insolvency at month’s end. Fuel, food, home heating, and debt – everything keeps getting more expensive.

Keep Reading

Advocate hosts all-candidates debate in Lindsay with help of 3 community sponsors

in Federal by
Make an informed choice Oct. 21.

There’s an important federal election coming up and the Advocate wants to help you make an informed choice on Oct. 21.

That’s why we’ve organized, and will host, an all-candidates debate on social policy on Oct. 6 from 2-4 pm, with the help of three community sponsor organizations – the Food Security Working Group of the Kawartha Lakes Food Coalition, Kawartha Citizens United, and Kawartha Lakes Health Coalition.

Keep Reading

Cassie Noble releases new album, supported by southern Ontario and Quebec tour

in Around Town/Community by
Cassie Noble releases new album, supported by southern Ontario and Quebec tour

It’s in between bursts of rain and sunshine when I meet with local tattoo-artist-by-day-musician-by night Cassie Noble at Lindsay’s Boiling Over’s Coffee Vault, a place familiar to the 28-year-old singer-songwriter.

Noble, who has toured with her band, The Do Good Badlies all across the country, is now putting considerable time and energy into the pursuit of a solo career. She was quick to express her gratitude for Boiling Over’s impact on local music, having played there herself with her band on numerous occasions, and noting the welcoming, all-ages feel of the coffee-shop. It’s a spot which serves as a starting point for many up-and coming local musical talents.

Keep Reading

Free event: Advocate hosts Art Eggleton to speak about need for national basic income

in Around Town/Community/Poverty Reduction by
Advocate hosts Art Eggleton to speak about need for national basic income
Art Eggleton.

The Lindsay Advocate will be hosting a free event on Oct. 5 in Lindsay, featuring retired Senator Art Eggleton who will speak on why Canada needs a basic income — and how to get there.

There are still 14 free tickets remaining out 110. The event will be held at the Pie Eyed Monk in Lindsay and is accessibility-friendly. To register, go here.

Eggleton has been one of the basic income movement’s greatest Canadian champions. He remains Toronto’s longest serving mayor in history and was well-known for his progressive approach to social issues in the city.

Keep Reading

Fenelon Falls joins Lindsay in climate strike action

Fenelon Falls joins Lindsay in climate strike action
Photo: Geoff Coleman.

Thanks to organizing efforts by 17-year old Abby Jardine, Fenelon Falls joined other parts of Canada and much of the world in a climate strike September 27.

Rallying at the old Fenelon Falls Theatre marquee sign, about 50 marchers took to Fenelon Falls’ main street to bring attention to the issue of climate change.

Keep Reading

Students take climate change action to the streets

Students take climate change action to the streets

Scores of students streamed out of school and into civic action in Lindsay and Fenelon Falls today to demand action on climate change, just as Sweden’s Greta Thunberg led tens of thousands in Montreal.

They streamed out of I.E. Weldon Secondary School, LCVI, and Central Senior Public School, as well as many more in Fenelon Falls, to demand governments take legislative action to halt man-made climate change. They were joined by allies in the community of all ages who were clearly excited by the energy and persistence of the students.

Keep Reading

Library moves ebook collection to cloudLibrary for greater choice, access

in Community by

Starting October 21 the Kawartha Lakes Public Library is moving its main eBook and eAudiobook provider to cloudLibrary from OverDrive/Libby. Through cloudLibrary patrons can access the online collections of over 25 public libraries in Ontario through the cloudLink consortium, starting on November 6.

Keep Reading

1 2 3 4 5 57
Go to Top