Winner – New Business of the Year

Category archive

Community - page 48

Fleming president talks skills training, better connections with employers

in Around Town/Business/Community by
Fleming president talks skills training, better connections with employers
From left to right: Scott Robertson, Mike Perry, Tony Tilly, Marlene Morrison Nicholls, Peter Thomas.

Tony Tilly, president of Fleming College, was recently the guest speaker at a round table discussion hosted by the Lindsay and District Chamber of Commerce.

Tilly made a short presentation on how Fleming – and Frost Campus in particular – has been playing a key role in specialized education the Lindsay area, before taking questions from community members.

Keep Reading

Make a pledge to local labour groups for Big Brothers Big Sisters

in Around Town/Community by

Local labour groups needs your help so they in turn can help Big Brothers Big Sisters of Kawartha Lakes – Haliburton.

The Big Brothers Big Sisters of Kawartha Lakes–Haliburton ‘Bowl for Kids’ Sake’ event takes place Feb. 24 in Lindsay.

Keep Reading

Need money? Still time to apply as Ontario Basic Income Pilot picks up steam

in Community/Poverty Reduction by

The new and innovative social program that Ontario is testing in Lindsay and two other Ontario centres – a ‘basic income guarantee’ — is surging in participant numbers.

Keep Reading

Families jump to defence of Victoria Manor

in Community/Local News by
Families jump to defence of Victoria Manor

In the wake of a CBC Marketplace report that named Victoria Manor as sixth worst in Ontario for abuse between residents, families are jumping to the defense of the municipally-run long term care home.

Keep Reading

What will Mary think? Academy doesn’t believe improvements will upset their ghost

in Community/Opinion/The Arts by
What will Mary think? Academy Theatre doesn’t believe improvements will upset their ghost

Lindsay’s storied Academy Theatre is almost unrecognizable on Monday. Almost.

As I step into the construction zone, every seat in the orchestra section has been ripped from the floor to make way for new ones. There’s a fresh base of concrete to support the memories of a new generation of theatre and event goers.

Keep Reading

Lindsay: The kindest town around

in Around Town/Community by
Boiling Over Manager Laura LeMiere presents gift cards to Nicole, Manager of Hostel and Outreach Services at APCH.

Lindsay’s Boiling Over at Kent and Cambridge Streets was just one of 10 coffee shops in nine communities in Ontario taking part in Common Kindness Day earlier this month – and it turns out Lindsay was the kindest of all.

Keep Reading

Days Inn aims to source needs locally, makes choice to pay above minimum wage

in Business/Community by
Days Inn & Suites Lindsay General Manager, Candace Buckley.

It has been less than three years since the Days Inn and Suites in Lindsay opened its doors, but it’s already become a community fixture – and not just for those visiting from out of town.

Candace Buckley, general manager of Lindsay’s largest hotel, says the local hotel has made it their priority to source the things they need locally as much as possible.

Keep Reading

CBC Marketplace names Victoria Manor as sixth worst in Ontario for abuse between residents

in Community/Local News by

City says Victoria Manor has more residents with a higher degree of cognitive impairments.

A CBC Marketplace investigation has named Victoria Manor in Lindsay as the sixth worst in the Province for abuse between residents in looking at statistics from 2016 – but the City of Kawartha Lakes says that’s not the whole story.

Keep Reading

Eastern Ontario Wardens’ Caucus advocates for cellular network, economic development

in Around Town/Community/Local News by

The Eastern Ontario Wardens’ Caucus (EOWC) was recently held in Toronto, during the 2018 Rural Ontario Municipal Association (ROMA) conference.

The EOWC emphasized the importance of the Province’s partnership in helping achieve and implement the two most important projects for rural Eastern Ontario – building a major cellular and public safety broadband network and implementing the Eastern Ontario Economic Development Strategy.

Keep Reading

Governments should give money without conditions to create a better society

in Community/Opinion/Poverty Reduction by
As an experiment, a group of 13 chronically homeless men in London, England were given cash with no strings attached.

I live a good life and I try not to take it for granted. Because I have a certain income, I can choose what to buy and where to shop. I can generate options and choose what is best for my family and me. I am fascinated about what makes up a good life and the following passage got me thinking about the link between choice and income:

Keep Reading

1 46 47 48 49 50 57
Go to Top