Lindsay’s Dr. Alan Konyer has come out of retirement to help local patients who do not have a family doctor during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Konyer says he has such “tremendous respect and concern for my colleagues who are working hard to save lives.”
“I am too far removed from critical care medicine to do hospital work, but I wanted to volunteer to reduce the workload on my younger colleagues and offer care for people in my home community who do not yet have a local primary care provider,” he tells the Advocate.
Konyer, who was raised in Lindsay and practiced medicine here since 1982, retired on Jan. 1 this year.
Patients in need who do not already have a family doctor can call 705-340-2677 between 8.30 am – 4.30 pm to get an appointment.
All appointments will be by telephone. Patients who already have a family doctor should call their doctor’s office with any health concerns or dial 9-1-1 in the event of a health emergency.
This service is being supported by the City of Kawartha Lakes Family Health Team.
As Ontario enters its second month of COVID-19 protocols, you don’t have to look too far on social media to find the lionization of many of the essential workers who are on the frontline of combating this deadly respiratory virus.
While doctors, nurses and paramedics have earned well-deserved kudos, it has been especially satisfying to many to see people publicly posting about the very important roles being played by cashiers, personal support workers and truck drivers whose services to society before this pandemic were often marginalized and ridiculed. For the first time in a very long time we are taking a hard look at these kinds of jobs and who works them, and some are developing a whole new appreciation for the risks these individuals are currently taking for little remuneration in return.
As COVID-19 numbers are expected to worsen in the coming weeks, Ross Memorial Hospital is moving as many non-acute patients out of the hospital as possible – a situation that is putting pressure on family members.
Veronica Nelson, interim president and CEO of RMH, says given the predicted models of COVID-19 in Ontario, “all hospitals have been asked to create capacity to manage a potential surge in inpatient cases.”
Two additional residents at Pinecrest Nursing Home passed away yesterday, according to Mary Carr, the home’s administrator.
The total number of COVID-19 related deaths at Pinecrest now stands at 22.
The Covid-19 pandemic continues to give local companies opportunities to show the best of the human spirit.
With an existing connection to the medical industry, and facing a two-week shutdown, Whitney Plastics in Lindsay used the time to retool operations and start forming much-needed plastic face shields.
Since the arrival of COVID-19 in North America last month the elderly and immuno-compromised have been identified as the two groups most at risk of serious illness from this virulent strain of respiratory virus.
Governments have wisely counselled these groups to social distance and ride COVID-19 out in the safety and comfort of their own homes or apartments. If you are a home or condominium owner this is relatively easy to do, but as a renter this is much more difficult, especially if your landlord behaves like the one mentioned below.
The president of CardioMed Supplies Inc. in Lindsay, Rafael Dubé, is trying to use his supply chains to get much needed face masks and other critical personal protective equipment to front line health care workers across Canada.
The only thing standing in his way are the independent air cargo carriers who, faced with less passengers, are nearly tripling their cargo rates to businesses like Cardio-Med.
The Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit is confirming today there have been a total of nine COVID-19-related deaths at the Pinecrest Nursing Home in Bobcaygeon since an outbreak was declared at the facility on March 18.
City of Kawartha Lakes Councillor Kathleen Seymour-Fagan and some other concerned citizens are setting up a relief fund for the hard-hit community of Bobcaygeon due to COVID-19.
Nine Pinecrest Nursing Home residents had died as of Sunday evening. All are presumed to have died of COVID-19. It’s the worst known outbreak of the virus in Ontario.