News. Community. Wellness.

Category archive

Community - page 5

The potholes of Kawartha Lakes: It’s a big City out there

in Around Town/Columnists/Community by
We have over 1,800 km of surfaced road to repair and only 38,444 households to pay for repairing those roads. (Photo: Editor 5807).

“I’m fixing a hole where the rain gets in, and stops my mind from wondering where it will go”

— The Beatles, “Fixing a Hole”

A couple months back, I was actually listening to “Fixing a Hole,” grooving on that psychedelic pop classic, driving eastbound on Colborne St., crossing Angeline St. I passed a cop and she gave me a good long look — as well she should, because I either looked impaired or like I was pretending to be a NASCAR driver warming up my tires.

Keep Reading

‘Freedom Dinner’ in Lindsay is ‘fundamental’ to Amnesty mission

in Around Town/Community/Events/Local News by
'Freedom Dinner' in Lindsay is ‘fundamental’ to Amnesty mission

The Lindsay chapter of Amnesty International will be holding its 30th annual Freedom Dinner April 28 at St. Paul’s Anglican Church.

According to one of the local organizers, Lori Moore, the Freedom Dinner is one of the two main annual fundraisers for the group. Every year the group picks one country to highlight and this year’s country is Turkey. The dinner will consist of Turkish cuisine prepared by local caterer extraordinaire Edna Smith.

Keep Reading

Mariposa Dairy, Armada Toolworks create new jobs with Provincial grants

in Business/Community by
Mariposa Dairy, Armada Toolworks create new jobs with Provincial grants

The Province is partnering with Armada Toolworks and Mariposa Dairy to create 47 new jobs and support existing positions in the eastern region.

Keep Reading

New funding to expand natural gas service in Fenelon, Cambray, Cameron

in Around Town/Community/Local News by
Kawartha Lakes Country Living Show

The Province of Ontario announced more than $12 million in funding to expand natural gas services in Fenelon Falls, Cambray and Cameron as part of the 2017 Natural Gas Grant Program.

Keep Reading

Aging in Kawartha Lakes: Challenge and Opportunity

in Columnists/Community/Seniors by

This is part one of six in a series about aging in the City of Kawartha Lakes.

I’ve had the privilege to call Lindsay my home from as far back as I can remember. Like many home-grown kids from a small town, the primary goal was to leave this community at the first opportunity – and that’s what I did. I did so not knowing that one day I would be back in our area to raise my own family and once again call Lindsay home.

Keep Reading

Lindsay’s ‘Temp’orary Secret: How temp agencies affect our social wellness

in Business/Community/Poverty Reduction by
Lindsay’s ‘Temp’orary Secret: How temp agencies affect our social wellness
Today in Lindsay, as in the rest of Canada, there is a good chance that the company you are working for is paying an employment agency a premium per hour to not be your legal employer.

“I was always worried.  Am I going to have a job tomorrow?”

You can physically see the frustration and anger as Joe recalls to me his combined seven years of working between two of Lindsay’s largest manufacturing employers, Armada Toolworks and Holsag Canada, three of them as a temp worker.

Keep Reading

Train show set to draw 1,500 or more to Victoria Park Armoury

in Around Town/Community by
Train show set to draw 1,500 or more to Victoria Park Armoury
With displays to thrill train lovers of all ages, the show is the only one of its kind in the area.

Given Lindsay’s long and rich history when it comes to railways, it’s no surprise that the April 7-8 train show at the Victoria Park Armoury will likely draw a big crowd.

About 1,500 people from across the province descend on Lindsay for the annual event.

Keep Reading

Lindsay’s opioid challenge: Coordinated effort working to help those affected

in Around Town/Community/Health/Poverty Reduction by
Lindsay’s opioid challenge: Coordinated effort working to help those affected
Emergency services in Lindsay and all of Kawartha Lakes are on the front line of this challenge.

Ask anyone involved in front-line health care in Lindsay, and they will tell you the same thing: opioid overdoses in our area are rising at an alarming rate. There aren’t necessarily more people using drugs, authorities say, but those who do are endangered by a drug supply poisoned with fentanyl and its derivatives.

Keep Reading

Four new programs to increase availability of affordable housing

in Community/Poverty Reduction by

In keeping with the goal to improve community access to safe, affordable housing, the City of Kawartha Lakes and the County of Haliburton are pleased to open registration for four programs on April 1.

Keep Reading

Large donation allowing for study on cultural centre for Kawartha Lakes

in Around Town/Community/The Arts by

A large private donation is allowing for a feasibility study on the likelihood of getting a culture centre for Kawartha Lakes.

Susan Taylor, chair of the cultural centre committee and president of the Kawartha Lakes Art Gallery, says there is “broad support” for having such a centre in the area.

Keep Reading

1 3 4 5 6 7 18
Go to Top