News. Community. Wellness.

Category archive

Community - page 6

Advocate takes third place Innovation Award through KLCFDC

in Around Town/Business/Community by
The Advocate's multimedia experience helped it win an Innovation Award through the KLCFDC.

The Lindsay Advocate took third place in the Kawartha Lakes Community Futures Development Corporation (KLCFDC) 2018 Innovation Awards, held at the Lindsay Golf Club.

The Awards were part of the KLCFDC’s Innovation Day event, which featured a presentation on digitization from the Business Development Bank, the twentieth anniversary of the KLCFDC’s  annual small business Innovation Awards competition, and an address by Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock MPP and Minster of Labour Laurie Scott.

Keep Reading

Get out and vote: About 12,500 voters have cast ballots so far

in Around Town/Community by

About 19 per cent of eligible voters have cast a ballot so far in this year’s municipal election in the City of Kawartha Lakes. City Clerk Cathie Ritchie says, as of Friday morning, that 12,534 people have cast their vote out of an eligible pool of 67,188 voters.

Ritchie wasn’t phased by these numbers, though, saying she believes “most people like to wait to vote on election day” even though the City has been trumpeting “10 days and 2 ways” to vote this year.

Keep Reading

Advocate up for 2018 Innovation Awards through KLCFDC

in Business/Community by

The Lindsay Advocate will be one of three winners of the Kawartha Lakes Innovation Awards, through the Kawartha Lakes Community Futures Development Corporation (KLCFDC).

KLCFDC recently announced the selection of the three finalists, all of whom will be honoured at the annual Innovation Day, which will be held Friday, Oct. 19 at Noon at the Lindsay Golf Club.

Keep Reading

A voter’s dilemma: Ideas or candidate?

in Columnists/Community by

Recently, I cast my votes for ward councillor and mayor of the City of Kawartha Lakes, and did so online for the first time.

This is my first municipal election in Kawartha Lakes because I moved here in July, 2016 after the last election. Before voting, I faced a conundrum as to how I would vote. Ideally, I would prefer to vote for a person who I assessed to be the best candidate with the best ideas, but they don’t always come in the same package. My dilemma, then, was whether to ‘vote candidate’ or ‘vote ideas.’ I did both.

Keep Reading

Spinning your wheels with a bike share in Fenelon Falls

in Around Town/Columnists/Community/Health by
Ten clues that Lindsay is a car-first town

A bike share in Fenelon Falls? Why would anyone need to rent a bicycle in small Fenelon Falls? Can’t we just walk everywhere? Not quite. There are a number of good reasons why bikes have been eagerly welcomed here.

For many people, Fenelon is larger than the downtown. The rail trail that runs north out of the city is breathtaking, especially at this time of year, and renting a bicycle makes it possible to enjoy the scenery even if you don’t have a bicycle of your own or need an extra bicycle or two for visitors.

Moreover, for some people with mobility issues, cycling is actually easier than walking. Accessible bicycles make outdoor exercise possible for a wider variety of people.

Keep Reading

Canada’s supply management system ensures stability for Kawartha Lakes’ farmers

in Business/Community by
Keith Thurston, left, and son, Jeff Thurston, right of Thursthill Farms in Kawartha Lakes. Photo: Erin Smith.

Jim Callaghan was just 8 to 10 years old when the family loaded up the cream they expected to sell to Silverwood’s in Lindsay, a now defunct dairy company. But on that day the company officials shook their heads and sent the Callaghan’s on their way. There would be no dairy sales for the family on that attempt, since Silverwood’s had a glut of supply that day. These were the days before ‘supply management,’ the admittedly boring name for the system that has brought financial stability to Canadian farmers for decades.

Keep Reading

Advocate writer given soup, bread, cookie dinner in APCH social experiment

in Around Town/Community/Health/Poverty Reduction by
Advocate writer given soup, bread, cookie dinner in APCH social experiment

A small bowl of soup. A piece of white bread. A single cookie. These were the three food items given to us recently for our dinner. As we stared down at them, just a few tables away at a long, more lavishly decorated table, the people there were being served pork roast dinners. The Lindsay Advocate was invited to the 2018 Homeless Awareness Dinner known as “An Experiential Dining Event,” held at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Lindsay. It was put on by A Place Called Home, Lindsay’s homeless shelter.

Keep Reading

What is Ontario Proud doing in our election?

in Columnists/Community by
What is Ontario Proud doing in our election?
Although some of Denby’s signs have been taken down by Municipal Enforcement -- presumably for violation of the City’s sign Bylaw -- those gorgeous signs at Victoria and Kent Streets are, in fact, legal.

Ontario Proud, the largest digital political advocacy group in the country — and self-described anti-Liberal advocacy group — seems to have taken an interest in the City of Kawartha Lakes’ election.

The Lindsay Advocate has confirmed with Joel Watts, deputy returning officer of the City of Kawartha Lakes that Ontario Proud is not registered as a third party advertiser in this election. The only registered third party advertiser is Bill Denby, who seems to take credit for the ad in the comments section of the second CKL-related video posted so far this election.

Keep Reading

Ubisoft launches major new video game with Kawartha Lakes roots

in Around Town/Business/Community/Local News by
Ubisoft launches major new video game that has Kawartha Lakes roots
Players will build custom starships and explore the Atlas star system.

The Atlas star system is 430.5 light years away from the City of Kawartha Lakes, but its defense begins on Tuesday, October 16 with a game that has roots in the Kawartha Lakes like few before it. Starlink: Battle for Atlas will be released on October 16 by Ubisoft, one of the biggest video game companies in the world, famous for the likes of the Far Cry, Assassin’s Creed, and Tom Clancy series, to name a few. Starlink is a “toys to life” game (Skylanders being the most famous example of this), in which users will build ships out of real toys and bring them into the game. The game is the brainchild of producer and Lindsay ex-pat, Matthew Rose.

Keep Reading

Small Business Week has something for all business owners

in Business/Community by
Last year's Innovation Awards during Small Business Week.

Small Business Week 2018, which runs from October 15-19, has something for every business owner with 10 events scheduled throughout Kawartha Lakes.

The week kicks off with Mental Health in the Workplace: The Impact on Your Business, hosted by our local Chambers of Commerce, and supported by the Ontario Chamber of Commerce and WSIB, at the Fenelon Falls Curling Club at 7:00pm on Monday.

Keep Reading

1 4 5 6 7 8 32
Go to Top