News. Community. Wellness.

Category archive

Community - page 3

Nunavut a finalist for $10 million Smart Cities Challenge prize; Lindsay’s Pinnguaq involved

in Around Town/Community/Health by
Nunavut a finalist for $10 million Smart Cities Challenge prize; Lindsay's Pinnguaq involved
Cambridge Bay, Nunavut.

A collaboration between the Nunavut Association of Municipalities (NAM), Lindsay’s Pinnguaq Association, the Embrace Life Council and Qaujigiartiit Health Research Centre has resulted in a project, representing all 25 communities of Nunavut, being selected as a finalist in the Smart Cities Challenge $10 million prize.

Keep Reading

The Lindsay Advocate – serving the area since 1855

in Columnists/Community/Just in Time by
The Lindsay Advocate – serving the area since 1855

Sometimes good ideas are merely a continuation of old ideas. What seems like a unique concept may actually be an echo of history, seized upon once again – perhaps at just the right moment.

While reading Looking for Old Victoria County, edited by Rae Fleming and published just last year, I came upon a chapter called The People of the 1861 Great Fire in Lindsay, by Lois Magahay. Under a section about local journalism, it was there that I found an astonishing fact:

Keep Reading

Woman finds 21 trunks containing historical treasures

in Community/Events/Just in Time/Local News by
Woman finds 21 trunks containing historical treasures

She inherited 21 huge trunks that had been kept in a basement for 57 years.

In a series of three exhibits at the Olde Gaol Museum in Lindsay, local artist Ann Louise Smith tells the incredible story of her grandparents through her artwork and a collection of family artifacts.

Keep Reading

Teacher says ‘travel is the only thing that makes you richer’ as students prepare for Normandy

in Community/Education by
From L to R: Shaun Soutar, Alison Smith, Emma Bartley, Reece Eason, Rebecca James

Several students gathered over a free lunch at Fenelon Falls Secondary School recently to enthusiastically discuss a 10-day trip to Normandy next year – and they got a chance to network with students who have already travelled internationally.

Julie Rocheleau, a teacher at the high school, has been organizing these international trips with her students for several years.

Rocheleau says, “I’ve been taking kids out-of-country pretty much every year since I started teaching, whether it be for sports or an immersive experience. Travel is the only thing that makes you richer.”

Keep Reading

Downtown Dreams Contest announces top four finalists

in Around Town/Business/Community/Local News by
Downtown Dreams Contest announces top four finalists
L to R: Vinh Mac (Fenelon Falls Brewing Co.), Jennifer Bacon (Yoga with Jenny), Marie Rayner (Soulful Expressions), Eliana Evenaar and Phil Blais (Creation Café), Leisha Newtown (Economic Development Officer – Downtown, City of Kawartha Lakes), Mayor Andy Letham and Sandy Greenberg (provided training to Downtown Dreams contestants).

From yoga to craft beer, from coffee and art, to health and wellness, four Kawartha Lakes’ entrepreneurs are making their ‘downtown dreams’ a reality.

The City of Kawartha Lakes recently hosted the Downtown Dreams Business Showcase at the Academy Theatre in Lindsay where attendees from across the City came to celebrate and congratulate the finalists of the Downtown Dreams contest.

Keep Reading

‘Crisis’ in Lindsay as homeless diverted elsewhere; food bank says ‘we need help’

in Community/Poverty Reduction by
‘Crisis’ in Lindsay as homeless diverted elsewhere; food bank says ‘we need help’

With Kawartha Lakes’ homeless shelter, A Place Called Home, at full capacity for the better part of a week, homeless people are being diverted to Peterborough or Oshawa.

Meanwhile, one of the founding volunteers of Lindsay’s food bank, Bev Gimbel, says “we’re at a crisis.”

Keep Reading

Russian farmers to learn about farming life here on the ‘Way for Milk’ tour

in Around Town/Business/Community by
Russian farmers to learn about farming life here on the 'Way for Milk' tour
Vera Mozgovaya, editor in chief, Russia Dairy News, on a 2017 tour of Ontario Dairy farms. Photo: Suzanne Atkinson.

Sometime in the middle of July, about 50 to 100 Russian farmers will be driving around Kawartha Lakes.

They won’t be driving aimlessly – they’re actually on a tight timeline and it’s a fully guided tour. They’ve only got six days and a massive area of Ontario and Quebec to explore – including two days here in Kawartha Lakes.

Most of the attendees on this journey are farmers or processors from Russia, along with some government officials, regional authorities, companies offering solutions for milk producers and processors, and federal and regional media. It has all been organized by the Russian DairyNews.

Keep Reading

Kawartha Lakes woman spearheads probiotic soil innovation

in Business/Community/Environment by
Kawartha Lakes woman spearheads probiotic soil innovation
L to R: Chris Cookman, Jacob Cookman, with Kim Thompson.

One day, perhaps, this will be a well-known story. It will be a story of how a Kawartha Lakes entrepreneur, Kim Thompson, had a fitful night’s sleep. The legend will continue about how she used that late-night opportunity to pour herself into researching her business – horticulture – and after many more fitful nights’ sleep then finds her inspiration. It is the beginning of an insight that could overturn much of what we know about how things grow. Miryal will then become a great Canadian moment.

Keep Reading

Kawartha Lakes demonstrators protest Kinder Morgan buyout

in Around Town/Community by
Kawartha Lakes demonstrators protest Kinder Morgan buyout

Sylvia C. Keesmaat — A group of local protesters joined more than 100 other protests being held across the country to object to the Trudeau government’s buy-out of the Kinder Morgan pipeline.

The local group gathered outside the office of Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock MP Jamie Schmale, carrying placards with various messages, such as “Remember Paris!” “I want my taxes to go to Housing not Pipelines,” “PM Trudeau: Climate Leaders Don’t Buy Pipelines” and “Short Term Oil = Climate Turmoil.”

Keep Reading

Democracy: Go do what much of the world wishes it could do

in Columnists/Community by
L to R: Andrea Horvath, NDP leader, Doug Ford, PC leader, Mike Schreiner, Green Party leader, Kathleen Wynne, Liberal leader.

Voting, like almost everything else that takes time and effort, is very easy to talk yourself out of doing.

The most persuasive and pervasive justification of abstinence from the democratic process is the belief that a single vote means very little. My vote, your vote, and your mom’s vote likely won’t change an election.

Thankfully, however, I am young. I haven’t been around long enough for political cynicism to take root.

Keep Reading

1 2 3 4 5 22
Go to Top