This undated picture of the Scugog River offers one a glimpse into Lindsay’s prosperous past.
On the right, straddling the embankment between King Street and the Grand Trunk Railway’s river spur, is the large and active Allen & Hanburys Co. Ltd., a British-based manufacturer of pharmaceutical products, whose Canadian plant was built in Lindsay a century ago.
Further west are the towering facilities of the Dundas & Flavelle cold storage building, destroyed by fire in 1916.
Across the river, one can make out the roof of Lindsay’s primary grain and feed mill, which today lies in ruins following a 1978 fire.
The Gothic Revival tower of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church rises, as it still does, in the western sky.
Snaking through this busy scene are tracks belonging to the Canadian Pacific Railway and the Grand Trunk Railway. The scene is quieter now, the tracks having been gone for almost 30 years, and the once-buzzing telegraph poles now camouflaged by trees.
The Scugog River still hums with industry, but today that prosperous industry is recreational boating.
— Photo made possible thanks to Ian McKechnie, a monthly columnist for The Lindsay Advocate, and assistant manager of the Olde Gaol Museum in Lindsay. Courtesy of the Victoria County Historical Society.