Built in 1886 and opened in 1887 for a parish dating to 1835, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church has long been a fixture in the community.
With its 75 foot-high tower housing the Orville Locke Memorial Carillon, St. Andrew’s is for many a beacon of hope in Lindsay’s busy downtown. The church operates a twice-monthly Sunday supper and hosts a community soup kitchen, which operates three days a week between September and June.
This photo was taken sometime during the 1890s. More on St. Andrew’s Sunday supper and soup kitchen in an upcoming story.
— Photo made possible thanks to Ian McKechnie, a monthly columnist for The Lindsay Advocate, and assistant manager of the Olde Gaol Museum in Lindsay. Courtesy of the Victoria County Historical Society.