The City of Kawartha Lakes through the Kawartha Lakes Small Business and Entrepreneurship Centre (KLSBEC) has ensured that over the past eight months, 18 businesses have been presented with the Starter Company PLUS award. The businesses have been qualified to receive grants of up to $4,000 to go towards supporting the start-up or expansion of their business through the Starter Company PLUS Program.
Winners of the Starter Company PLUS Awards:
2017 Fall Winners
- Kawartha Shortbread- Karen Reid
- Lisa Vehrs – Recovered Treasures Upholstery
- Sandy Terzo – Dolce Bakery
- Daniel Wright – Clear Mind
- Pamela VanMeer – Kawartha 411
- Joe Elliott – All Day Personal Training
- Robin Spataro – Together Forever
- Darian Bacon – 7Winds
- Ben Corder – Ben’s Kettle Corn
2018 Spring Winners
- Leanna Segura – Fresh FueLL
- Owen Armstrong – Rifles Refined
- Debra Kemp – Kawartha Mediums
- Danielle McNelly – The Kawartha Sign and Pillow Co.
- Kristen Miller – North Country Cottage Boutique
- Graeme Barrie – NetMechanics
- Dylan Trepanier – Alexander Optical
- Michael Bainbridge – The Occurrence
- Sarah Fournier– Sweet Green Studios
Offered through KLSBEC, the Starter Company PLUS Program has been providing opportunities for entrepreneurs to acquire small business training, mentoring and grant money to help them start or expand their businesses. Since its start in 2017, the program has had a total of 55 individuals participate.
“We are thrilled to announce that the latest 18 businesses are taking full advantage of the programs’ benefits,” said Diane Steven, Manager, KLSBEC. “We are currently planning for fall intake and are continuing to invite new applicants to this amazing program. The grant opportunity is a real bonus, but the training and mentoring are invaluable.”
Sarah Fournier, owner of Sweet Green Studios and a 2018 winner, explains the value of what the program has provided to her, “It’s been a reality check for me about how to set up a business properly. I have a long way to go, but this program has given me the tools and answers to do it properly.”
If you would like more information about KLSBEC and Starter Company PLUS in Kawartha Lakes, visit the City’s website or contact Diane Steven at 705-324-9411 ext. 1283.